It truly seems like this season’s ‘biggest accessory’ is the eyes. From the runway to the red carpet, so many of the makeup looks of the season have bold and dramatic looks focused on the eyes. And why not, since ‘eyes are the windows to the soul’ (I know that’s such a cliché quote to use in this post but it works right?!). They are also the most expressive feature on our face so it only makes sense to draw attention to them as the focal point. Unfortunately heavy eye make up can sometimes make eyes appear smaller; and we all know that when it comes to eyes ‘bigger is better’ so that would not be the look to be going for! To solve this problem, here are a few quick tips that can help make your eyes look bigger, even when you’re wearing dramatic eye makeup.
1) Use an eyelash curler and curl enhancing mascara to make sure eyelashes are curled – Straight or droopy eyelashes can make the eyes look closed and therefore make them look smaller. By curling your lashes your eyes will have a much more open and wide eyed look. Using the curl enhancing mascara on your lower lashes will enhance this look even more. You can click on the image below from Pretty Gossip to get more tips on how to curl your lashes .
2) When doing a cat eye or smoky eye keep, keep the shadow and/or eye liner thinnest on the inner corner of your eyelid and thickest on the outer corners of the eyelid, extending past the outer corner to create the illusion of a wider eye. See the picture below.
3) Highlight the inner corners of the eyes using a shimmery, light coloured eye shadow (like a gold, bronze, or pearl). This will create a more wide eyed look as you can see below.
You can also use a copper, gold or light coloured eyeliner where the liner should be thinnest as you can see below.
To really exaggerate this effect you can also line the outside of the highlighted area using a black eyeliner as seen in the picture below. You can also see this trick being used on the model in the featured picture for this post
4) Use a white eyeliner on the lower water line. Since it’s the same colour as your eyeball it actually makes your eyeball appear bigger and brighter! You can see this in the picture below and it’s another trick that has also been used on the model in the featured picture for this post.
5) Last but not least, thick eyebrows can make eyes look smaller, so if you naturally have smaller eyes avoid very thick brows. You can still keep the brows full but maintain the arch to keep brows lifted and eyes open. Make sure you don’t make the arch too high or you will end up with a permanently ‘shocked/surprised’ look. To give you an example, the model below has perfectly groomed eyebrows that are full but not too thick that they would over power the eyes.
So there you have it… You can use these tips to give you wide open ‘windows to your soul’. You don’t have to use all of them at once, but you can; it all depends on your makeup and what works for you. It’s best to experiment with them and see which ones will work the best for you. Then you can incorporate them into your beauty routines as needed.
Hope you guys liked these tips and hope they are helpful to you!
Are there any tips that you guys have to add to this list? Have any of you tried any of these tricks? Which tricks work best for you? Please share in the comments below so we can all be inspired
If you would like to get more ‘prettifying’ tips, don’t forget to sign up to my email list to get them straight to your inbox 🙂